The Institute is responsible for ensuring that high-quality apprenticeships and technical education is available to learners.
The Route Reviews help us to do this. They help us to take an overview of the Route and specific standards that are in scope, so we can ensure that apprenticeship standards continue to meet our occupational requirements, are relevant and up to date, and deliver for employers and apprentices.
The Engineering and Manufacturing Route Review has now been announced. This will look at the Route’s Occupational Map as well as the following apprenticeship standards:
Engineering Design and Development Pathway
- ST0010 - Aerospace Engineer
- ST0151 - Embedded Electronic Systems Design and Development Engineer
- ST0164 - Engineering Design and Draughtsperson
- ST0456 - Postgraduate Engineer
- ST0153 - Power Engineer
- ST0027 - Product Design and Development Engineer
Engineering, Manufacturing and Process Control Pathway
- ST0393 - Advanced Dairy Technologist
- ST0059 - Boat Builder
- ST0094 - Composites Technician
- ST0023 - Control/ Technical Support Engineer
- ST0024 - Electrical/ Electronic Technical Support Engineer
- ST0475 - Electrical Power Networks Engineer
- ST0457 - Engineering Technician
- ST0199 - Food and Drink Process Operator
- ST0196 - Food and Drink Advanced Process Operator
- ST0203 - Furniture Manufacturer
- ST0349 - General Welder (Arc Process)
- ST0420 - Lean Manufacturing Operative
- ST0025 - Manufacturing Engineer
- ST0144 - Mineral Processing Mobile and Static Plant Operator
- ST0369 - Non-Destructive Testing Engineer
- ST0288 - Non-Destructive Testing Engineering Technician
- ST0358 - Non-Destructive Testing Operator
- ST0290 - Nuclear Health Physics Monitor
- ST0289 - Nuclear Scientist and Nuclear Engineer
- ST0291 - Nuclear Operative
- ST0380 - Nuclear Technician
- ST0292 - Nuclear Welding Inspection Technician
- ST0296 – Papermaker
- ST0309 - Print Technician
- ST0407 - Process Automation Engineer
- ST0163 - Project Controls Technician
- ST0250 - Science Manufacturing Technician
- ST0422 - Science Manufacturing Process Operative
- ST0604 - Textile Care Operative
- ST0458 - Textile Manufacturing Operative
Maintenance, Installation and Repair Pathway
- ST0352 - Accident Repair Technician
- ST0019 - Aircraft Maintenance Certifying Technician/ Engineer
- ST0014 - Aviation Maintenance Mechanic (Military)
- ST0067 - Bus and Coach Engineering Technician
- ST0157 - Electrical Power Protection and Plant Commissioning Eng
- ST0195 - Food and Drink Maintenance Engineer
- ST0068 - Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician
- ST0528 - High Speed Rail and Infrastructure Technician
- ST0154 - Maintenance and Operations Engineering Technician
- ST0156 - Power Network Craftsperson
- ST0495 - Rail and Rail Systems Engineer
- ST0497 - Rail and Rail Systems Principal Engineer
- ST0496 - Rail and Rail Systems Senior Engineer
- ST0316 - Rail Engineering Advanced Technician
- ST0318 - Rail Engineering Technician
- ST0317 - Rail Engineering Operative
- ST0066 - Road Transport Engineering Manager
- ST0249 - Science Industry Maintenance Technician
- ST0498 - Specialist Tyre Operative
- ST0015 - Survival Equipment Fitter (Military)
- ST0159 - Utilities Engineering Technician
- ST0160 - Water Process Technician
To have your say, please take part in our consultation
The consultation for Engineering and Manufacturing will run for 16 weeks from 16 October 2019 – 5 February 2020.
We will publish our recommendations in winter 2020/21 when a timetable will be agreed with Trailblazers where standards are required to be changed.
If you have any questions about these standards please contact IFAREVIEW.ENGINEERINGANDMANUFACTURING@education.gov.uk
In parallel, we are finalising the Outline Content for the three Engineering and Manufacturing T Levels: Design and Development; Maintenance, Installation and Repair; and Manufacturing, Process and Control.
The consultation on:
- Design and Development T Level was launched on 15 October 2019 and will close on 12 November 2019. To have your say on this consultation, please click here.
- Consultations on the Maintenance, Installation and Repair; and Manufacturing, Process and Control T Levels will be launched on 3 December 2019 and will close on 16 February 2020. You will be able to have your say on these consultations when they launch by clicking here.
The criteria used to determine the standards included in the Review were
- Standards approved for delivery prior to the establishment of the Institute in April 2017, where these have not been significantly updated since.
- Standards where there are concerns raised about the content and it has been recognised it does not comply with the Institute’s occupational requirements
Our approach to the review will be as follows:
- Focussed – our review will focus on the route using the occupational map as well as standards. The outcome of the review may highlight changes to the apprenticeship standard, where this has been identified it may be necessary to make the relevant changes to the end point assessment plan.
- Employer led –responses from our consultation and engagement with employers will inform our recommendations. The recommendations will be reviewed by the Route Panel.
- Open and transparent – we will engage with stakeholders throughout the review process, and agree a suitable timetable for Trailblazers to update their standards, if required, following the review recommendations.
- Joined up – our review will look the Route using the Occupational Map, to ensure the recommendations supports the different technical education products including T Levels.